Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Stroke effects

My dental-floss ran out yesterday morning.
I have to use a small piece every time I eat an orange, because orange-rind wedges in my teeth.
I use Glide® dental-floss, much to the dismay of my siblings.
It was recommended by my dental provider, because Reach® would snag and break.
Never mind; Jesus used Reach, and the fact that I don’t shows I’m of-the-Devil.
Using the wrong dental-floss seems to be the same as using an Apple MacIntosh computer, another cardinal sin.
My Veramyst® nasal allergy spray ran out the other day (Saturday, June 6, 2009).
It’s a prescription medication, and I use it instead of over-the-counter allergy medications that don’t work.
A few years ago I was using Flonase® nasal spray — another prescription allergy medication.
It worked, but wasn’t doing anything for itchy eyes.
My doctor gave me a free Veramyst sample. —Same thing that was being advertised on TV as effective against both nasal allergies and itchy eyes.
Don’t know if it’s any better, but it’s what I use.
Use of a prescription nasal spray for my hay fever is another cause for sibling weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.
A proper tub-thumping Christian uses over-the-counter allergy relief, which in my case doesn’t work.
“I ain’t sprayin’ no medicine up my nose!” my Bible-thumping sister-in-Florida shouts.
I’m of-the-Devil because I’m not a proper tub-thumping Christian. Everything I do is WRONG; which includes my choice in motorcycles, running shoes, and toothpaste.
After all, Jesus rode a Harley.
Also, I’m running out of athlete’s foot cream.
Strangely, my siblings haven’t weighed in on this yet.
I have a preference (perish-the-thought); what works.
More-than-likely, it’s not the preference of Godly people.
All of this is adding up to a visit to Rite-Aid Pharmacy.
Another cause for weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.
It’s not CVS, the choice of my siblings.
I call Rite-Aid. They tell me my Veramyst prescription is still eligible for renewel. I lost the box with its sticker, and would have called it in beforehand.
This makes calling my doctor unnecessary. The prescription will be ready to pick up in a few hours.
So off to Rite-Aid in nearby Honeoye Falls. CVS would be a long journey into another county. Rite-Aid is much more convenient; just of-the-Devil.
Obtain tube of athlete’s foot cream.
“Can I help you find something?” a droll bespeckled balding manager-type asks.
Seconds pass.
This is the way it always is — has been ever since my stroke.
Slowly assemble the words for speaking, and hope he doesn’t get angry.
“Dental-floss,” I finally say.
Took a while, but I finally got it out.
“Right down here,” he points.
Thankfully, he didn’t get angry, despite my taking almost six seconds to get those two simple words out.
It has.
It’s not my original speech center.
That got vaporized by my stroke.
A remaining part of my brain had to take over and become my speech center; and it wasn’t designed for speech.

  • I had a stroke October 26, 1993, and it slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty putting words together.)
  • All my siblings are tub-thumping born-again Christians.
  • “Honeoye Falls” is the nearest town to where we live in western New York, a rural town about five miles away.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home