Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hell-oooo; knock-knock. Anybody home?

Principal Financial Group, one of my retirement accounts, tells me it has incomplete information (dread).
Um, my employment status is “retired.”
Yet they wanna know my occupation.
Hell-oooo; knock-knock. Anybody home?
Reminds us of Excellus (Blue Cross in our area).
89 bazilyun phone calls to “straighten things out.”
Welcome to Medicare.
You are eligible. Take it or else!
As a retiree from Regional Transit Service, I am entitled to health coverage equal to what I had when I worked there. (Thank ya, ATU.)
Being eligible for Medicare means a backtrack in my health insurance. It becomes supplementary to Medicare.
Linda could have continued under my Transit health insurance, but if I kick the bucket, she has nothing,
So she decided to continue the health insurance she had at her employ, which is Aetna, although inferior (thank ya, private sector).
It too is supplementary to Medicare.
Get everything in line.
Excellus discontinues everything, including her dental insurance, which wasn’t supposed to happen.
The all-knowing and wizened managers at Regional Transit, who are on donut-break ALL DAY after 8 a.m., tell me I don’t need to do anything.
Yet I have to apply for supplementary coverage.
Sure, call up Principal and get put on hold for hours (“Please hold during the silence: boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka. We value your call. It will be answered in India in about two hours. Please keep holding; your call will be answered in the order it was received.”)
When they finally answer, they go ballistic because I can’t make sense of needing an occupation if I’m retired.
(My values are all wrong; shoulda got ‘em at Wal*Mart.)

  • For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service, the transit-bus operator in Rochester, NY. My stroke October 26, 1993 ended that. “ATU” is the nationwide Amalgamated Transit Union. Our local (at the bus-company) was an affiliate.
  • “Linda” is my wife of 41+ years — she was supposed to be coinsured under my RTS union-employee dental-insurance.
  • All my siblings are flagrantly anti-union; claiming the “private sector” is superior.
  • My siblings all noisily claim Wal*Mart is the greatest store in the entire universe.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home