Monday, March 24, 2008

Clock-radio

Our fantabulous HD radio is also a clock-radio.
UH-OHHHH....... “HD RADIO.” I PREDICT AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE FROM THE ANTI-HD RADIO BLOGGERS ABOUT HOW HD RADIO IS THE DEVIL’S HANDIWORK. (I have to spell out “automated” lest people think we’re getting an “automotive” response.)
The dreaded instruction manual for the HD radio is missing — it apparently disappeared after the radio wasn’t getting WXXI’s HD channel. Although we’re inclined to think it was their end; that was long ago, and now we’re getting it.
So I was without a manual to set the clock-radio, which was the typical fiddling with an electronical gizmo.
So, take on the dreaded HD radio without the manual. “Can’t be rocket-science,” I said. “Real men don’t need manuals.”
(“Why make the clock radio work?” Linda asks. “We got an alarm-clock.”
“Like Mt. Everest it’s there,” I say. “I’m a ‘Liberila’-arts major.”)
I started poking around.
Held down a button, and saw that the alarm time was changing with spinning the tuning dial.
I set it at 5:40 a.m.
“Okay, we’ll see if the radio comes on at 5:40.”
I armed it, and also armed our alarm-clock at a later time in case it didn’t.
VIOLA! 5:40 a.m. the radio came on.

  • RE: “I have to spell out ‘automated’ lest people think we’re getting an ‘automotive’ response.......” —No too long ago I did a blog about auto-responses, and my sister-in-Floridy wondered why it wasn’t about automobiles.
  • WXXI-FM,” 91.5, is the classical-music radio-station in Rochester we listen to. It also broadcasts three channels of HD radio.
  • “Linda” is my wife of 40+ years.
  • “Liberila” is now how my loudmouthed macho brother-from-Boston noisily insists “liberal” is spelled. (Used to be “liberial.”) —He majored in Engineering, and is therefore superior.

    Labels:

  • 2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "UH-OHHHH....... “HD RADIO.” I PREDICT AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE FROM THE ANTI-HD RADIO BLOGGERS ABOUT HOW HD RADIO IS THE DEVILS’S HANDIWORK."

    Hilarious!

    Yup, the HD channels are only 1/100th the power levels of the main analog channels, and require AM-loop and FM-dipole antennas - let's take a trip back to the 1950's, where every house had roof-top mounted antennas. Do you think HOAs would go for that?

    BTW, do you have the cheesy Radiosophy HD100 - here is what Wired had to say:

    "Remember those crappy $15 AM/FM/cassette radios from the 80s? The HD100 looks just like one and has the sound to match. Basically a glorified clock radio, it has a chintzy, careless interface with speakers that spew a tinny unrefined sound. Frankly we’d be happier keeping our money and sitting in silence."

    Problem is that manufacturers have to pay a fortune to iNiquity for the licenses and it runs about $50/radio to install an HD Radio chipset. HD Radio is nothing but a farce:

    http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

    10:14 AM  
    Blogger BobbaLew said...

    Boston Acoustics, bought online. I think it sounds pretty good.

    7:22 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home