Monday, November 26, 2007

Partial madness

I guess the ‘pyooter-madness ain’t over yet......

Chase Bank, protecting its customers’ online banking (or appearing to anyway) has apparently decided my so-called “silly MAC” has so far been at least three ‘pyooters — maybe four.
My twin-procesor G4 tower came with two operating-systems: 9.2 and OS-X.
For a long time I drove 9.2; it was very similar to what we drove at the mighty Mezz.
Then my 9.2 got wonky, but my 9.2 apps ran fine under OS-X Classic-mode.
I found I could also drive OS-X, which I previously had avoided.
My original contact with Chase had been under 9.2. When I switched to OS-X they decided I was using a different ‘pyooter, so I had to set it up again.
As I recall (I’m not sure of this) they may have also decided my upgrade from Jaguar (10.2) to Tiger (10.4) was ‘pyooter number three, which meant setting up again.
Then I upgraded to Leopard (10.5), but it lacks Classic-mode, which I need. I had to reinstall Tiger (10.4), but that was an install, not an upgrade.
So I had to reconstruct everything, and Chase thinks it’s ‘pyooter number three (or four).
“You seem to be attempting access from a computer different from the one we know. You’ll need an authentification-code.”
Boom-zoom; same drill I went through before, although that was long ago.
“Please verify your Social-Security number, and set up a user-name.”
Boom-zoom: “Your user-name is ‘Bobbalew25.’”
“Now, you need an authentification-code. E-mail, text, fax, or phonecall? Phonecalls are fastest.”
“E-mail.” Boom-zoom; wait two minutes. “I have my authentification-code,” so I attempt to log-in.
“Negatory” — probably did something wrong. Get another authentification-code; wait a while for the e-mail (thrump-thrump); SUPPER-TIME!
I fire up my rig after supper, and there’s the authentification-code; and I get “negatory” again.
Obtain my third authentification-code, and this time send it phonecall.
Ring-ring; a machine call. I pick it up, and deafening silence. I hang back up, and my wife picks up to get only a remaining snippet of the authentification-code. Note-to-self: allow 89 bazilyun minutes for machine calls. (Musta been a Microsoft system: “Please hold while the system cogitates the value of Pi.”)
Obtain authentification-code number four.
Back to e-mail; I need a written document. The authentification-code is eight digits.
Wait a few minutes (it says “two minutes,” but it’s more than that); and attempt another log-in.
It works, but “You need to set up a password.”
I crank in an old phone-number, and “all done.”
VIOLA! I fire up Chase, log in like I did in the past, and proof our Visa account.
All purchases legit.
Only took about three hours.

  • RE: “I guess the ‘pyooter-madness ain’t over yet......” —In the past two weeks I’ve successfully loaded four things to my ‘pyooter with few (or no) hairballs. Windoze Media Player and Stuffit Expander were sight madness; FlashPlayer and Photoshop Elements 4.0 were slam-dunks. Windoze Media Player needed to be unstuffed; and Tiger doesn’t have Stuffit Expander.
  • RE: “silly MAC........” All my siblings use PCs, but I use a MAC, so am therefore reprehensible.
  • “Classic-mode” is a 9.2 operating system resident in OS-X. Earlier iterations of OS-X have “Classic-mode,” but the most recent (10.5 Leopard) doesn’t. “Classic-mode” runs software-applications (“apps”) that won’t run under OS-X, but will run under 9.2.

    Labels: ,

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home