Tuesday, August 29, 2006

cryptic message

Here is why cellphones are great (and why we got one)......
More than anything else it frees you from the landline network, and how hard it was to contact my wife when I was on-the-road in some faraway place and had to use a landline.
One time I was traveling in Pennsylvania, and I stopped for the night at some motel that didn’t have phones. Like I’m going to go back on-the-road (out in the middle of nowhere; where motels were few and far between) to find a motel with a phone.
I patronized a truckstop diner, and noticed many truckers were checking-in via cellphones.
Viola! What a great idea! Independence from the landline network. If I had to use a motel without a phone, I could check in to home via cellphone.
And as far as I’m concerned, that’s ALL it’s good for.
  • I can check in from the Tunnel Inn, which lacks phones.
  • I can call from Weggers about food-choice clarification without using their dreaded payphones.
  • When the Astro crippled I called AAA with my cellphone.
    And......
    I ain’t fielding calls while I’m driving. I figure driving is more important than being distracted by a phonecall. (“Where are ya now?” “Driving from point A to point B.” “Wassa matter — doncha love me? Greatest generation that ever was; survived the Depression, made the world safe for democracy, and then scanned-the-skies for enemy bombers at the Bath Fire-Tower.”)
    We’re at the Rochester airport once, waiting in a check-in line, and some guy rings up his significant-other via cellphone: “Well, I’m at the airport, waiting in a long line to check-in.” This is important? Do people feel more important just because they’re called via cellphone?
    Which is to say, when I drive the phone is on, but I ain’t answering it. “Missed Call,” Bubba. Voicemall; plus a callback.
    (Beyond that, you can print out a “boarding-pass” on your rig at home, well in advance, and thereby skip check-in — just get on the plane.)
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home